Monday 10 March 2008

Llamas and TB

I mentioned in a previous post that some llama breeders in the UK have been hit by bovine TB, resulting in the loss of their herds. An article appeared in the Times a couple of weeks ago, adding to the lobby of those wanting to cull badgers. Apparently the spread into the llama population is blamed on them grazing in fields soaked in infected badger urine. I have no idea how likely or true this is. What did interest me was the reference to the vaccination of badgers and deer to prevent the spread. Surely if you can vaccinate badgers and deer then you can vaccinate llamas? They do not enter the food chain in any way so that is not a problem. I must look into it in more detail.

No comments:

Be more dog

I'm always grateful that we have our dogs. We had never been dog owners up until our move but it had been something that we both wanted ...