Saturday 9 February 2008

A good end to the week

Last week at work was busy but culminated yesterday with the winter graduation. My first and only PhD student flew in from Austria with her family to accept her award. The whole thing is a mix between theatre, ceremony and high camp but as I have said in previous posts it is so nice to see students able to finally celebrate all their work. My PhD student puts everyone to shame as she not only finished her studies in record time but also got a second PhD in Austria and managed to fit in having a baby! A colleague was also getting her PhD and another professional doctorate. I had been around when she was trying to decide what to do and had encouraged her to have a go so it was so nice to be there at the end. It is such a privilege to be able to help people go some way to achieving their potential and the thing about my job that I still enjoy!

No comments:

Be more dog

I'm always grateful that we have our dogs. We had never been dog owners up until our move but it had been something that we both wanted ...