Monday 18 February 2008

Stigma

I spoke to my next door neighbour at the weekend and asked him if his wife was okay after the incident last week. He said that she had just got pissed and that was why she had been unable to get in. I must admit I didn't smell any alcohol on her and she certainly looked to me like she was sedated rather than pissed. She told me that she was being treated at the local hospital. I think it is quite sad to think that there is still so much stigma about mental illness that it seems more acceptable to explain erratic behaviour as being self-inflicted rather than being due to something that you may not have any control over. Maybe I have misread the situation but somehow I don't think so.

No comments:

Be more dog

I'm always grateful that we have our dogs. We had never been dog owners up until our move but it had been something that we both wanted ...