Wednesday 1 October 2008

Food for friends

Just spent a nice evening with colleagues. The idea was to drink some of the wine I bought back from France, which we managed. I also made something for us to eat. It was the first time I had made it and it turned out quite well. The recipe comes from a Sainsbury's magazine and was quite easy.

Roasted Butternut, aubergine, tomato and feta couscous.

I small butternut squash (I used a large one)
1 small aubergine (I used a medium)
2 tablespoons of olive oil (I didn't measure)
10 cherry tomatoes (thereabouts)
2 tablespoons of pine nuts (used what I had left in the packet)
150 gm couscous (I used 204gm..what was left in box)
250ml boiling water (I used about 320ml)
150 gm feta cheese (I used a packet of low fat feta)
a handful of mint leaves (didn't have so didn't use)
2 red chillies (I used one hot one)
sea salt
(I also used a small green pepper and ground mixed pepper)

Preheat oven to 180 (fan) 200 electric or gas 6.
Peel de-seed and chop squash into chunks (assisted by colleague). Chop aubergine into chunks. Toss in oil and roast on baking tray for 20 minutes. Scatter tomatoes and chopped pepper among the vegetables and roast for a further 10 minutes. Tip pine nuts into a small tin and roast in oven at the same time. Place couscous in bowl and pour on boiling water. Cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
De-seed and finely chop chili. Chop mint. Mix chili, vegetables, salt, pepper, pine nuts and crumbled feta cheese into the couscous.

Serve with salad and garlic bread.

We talked about a lot of things including health and safety man's latest escapades which will be the subject of a future post!

1 comment:

Michael House said...

Sounds yummy. I use that approach to recipes, they usually come out fine.

Be more dog

I'm always grateful that we have our dogs. We had never been dog owners up until our move but it had been something that we both wanted ...