Wednesday 23 July 2008

London to Mongolia car rally

Driving over to my brother's last Saturday we passed a convoy of strange looking cars heading down the Old Kent Road. On the side they had a banner saying London-Mongolia rally. The cars were a real mixture of vehicles, but most looked pretty old; there was a fair number of clapped out looking Ford Fiestas, Citroen 2CVs and even an old Austin All-aggro (I didn't think any of them had survived as they were amongst the most cr*p cars I have known!). I must admit at first I wasn't too interested in the whole thing but as the cars got more and more weird I took more note. (My favourite car had what looked like an old phone box strapped to the roof!). I read up on it when I got back and actually thought it looked like fun. Competitors can go from Hyde park to the capital of Mongolia any route they like. This may take them through Iran, Turkey, China, Uzbekistan, Russia and/or part of China!The cars must be no bigger than 1 litre and all teams must raise at least £1000 in sponsorship for the chosen charities, which help to support deprived children in Mongolia. On second thoughts it actually looks quite fun. You can read more about it here.

No comments:

Be more dog

I'm always grateful that we have our dogs. We had never been dog owners up until our move but it had been something that we both wanted ...